On election day and beyond, we need a mass movement protecting democracy, ensuring all votes are counted, and preparing to respond to any post-election threats to our democracy.
Call for voter protection volunteers in the Upper Valley (Still needed!)
Volunteers will be standing outside polling places on November 3rd, and working to maintain a welcoming and safe voting experience for everyone. This may include providing safe supports for voting (such as PPE and water), election and voter defense, de-escalating white supremacist intimidation tactics, signaling to poll monitors or lawyers if trouble breaks out, and countering any anti-democracy presence at the polls.
Unlike a “poll watcher” or “poll monitor,” a voter protection volunteer is a member of the general public who is standing outside— away from the voting and observing areas. Voter guardians are not affiliated with any political party. For each polling location, we will work with the town moderators to determine where the volunteers can stand, and how we can best support the poll workers.
YES, count me in!
1. Fill out this form, OR email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
2. Attend one of the election defender training offered by The Frontline on Thursday October 29th 7:30PM-9:00PM (register here) OR watch the Zoom recording (we’ll send it to you).
3. Attend the briefing from SURJ and RAD on Sunday November 1st 7:00PM-8:30PM. We will review the training on de-escalation, answer questions, and finalize logistics in a small-group setting based on your assigned polling place. Attending this meeting is strongly encouraged for participation.
4. Read pages 4-14 of the Election Defenders Toolkit developed by The Frontline at http://e-defend.in/toolkit.
5. Sign up for a 2h or 4h shift for November 3rd! We’ll send you the sign-up sheet.
Join Rights & Democracy VT/NH for weekly Democracy Defenders call
Sundays at 5PM. We will strategize how to get out the vote, recruit volunteers and poll workers for Election Day, and take collective action after the election to protect our democracy and start healing our country. Facebook event. To receive Zoom call info, please follow the links to RSVP:
Sunday, October 18: https://secure.everyaction.com/OoJE3Y_ERE66je2HMghAUQ2
Sunday, October 25: https://secure.everyaction.com/W4DSX5fqUUuEdO44Rkzayg2
Sunday, November 1:
Election Defense Phone Zaps with SURJ
Join SURJ to call and email local election officials in swing states, asking them to take the pledge to defend the election. Register here for upcoming Phone Zaps on Mondays + Wednesdays, starting Monday, October 12th and Wednesday, October 14th at 2pm. What is an Action Zap? Using just a cell phone and computer, you will sign into a group zoom meeting where we’ll share information about how to make phone calls and send emails to county election officials, alongside many other SURJ members – when we take action together we make a more significant impact.
- Frontline Election Defenders Toolkit
- Stopping the Coup: Election Disruption Guide 2020
- 10 things you need to know to stop a coup
- RAD Democracy Defense resources + upcoming trainings/events
- NHPR 2020 Elections Guide: How To Vote In New Hampshire, Whether You’re Voting Absentee Or At The Polls
- SURJ PostElection Action & Mass Mobilization Toolkit